How Many Students Attend Virginia Tech?

Virginia Tech is a large public university with an enrollment of over 32,000 students. Many students choose to attend virginia tech for its academic reputation and its location in Blacksburg, Virginia.

Checkout this video:


In the fall of 2019, a total of 34,225 students were enrolled at virginia tech Of that number, 31,555 were undergraduates and 2,670 were graduate students. The student body is 52 percent male and 48 percent female. About 20 percent of the students are from Virginia.

The History of Virginia Tech

virginia tech was founded in 1872 as a land-grant university and held its first classes in 1874. The school went through a series of name changes over the years before settling on its current name in 1970. Virginia Tech has been ranked as a top research university by several different organizations in recent years and is well-regarded for its engineering and business programs.

As of fall 2019, there were 33,240 students enrolled at Virginia Tech. The majority of students (70 percent) were undergraduates, while the remaining 30 percent were graduate or professional students. The student body was almost evenly split between men and women, with men making up 51 percent of the total enrollment.

The Student Body

Virginia Tech’s student body is made up of more than 34,000 undergraduates and nearly 8,000 graduate and professional students from all 50 states and more than 100 countries. The university has a strong commitment to increasing its diversity, and minorities make up nearly 30 percent of the undergraduate student body.

The Future of Virginia Tech

The number of applications to Virginia Tech has increased steadily over the past few years. For the fall of 2019, the university received a total of 32,795 applications, which was an increase of 5.8 percent from the previous year. Of those who applied, 19,015 were offered admission, and 6, 069 accepted their offer to become Hokies. The class of 2023 is expected to be one of the largest in recent years, with an anticipated freshman class size of approximately 5,600 students.

Scroll to Top