What Happened at VA Tech?

On April 16, 2007, 32 people were killed in a mass shooting at virginia tech The tragedy shocked the nation and left many wondering what could have been done to prevent it.

Checkout this video:


On April 16, 2007, virginia tech student Seung-Hui Cho shot and killed 32 people before taking his own life. It was the deadliest mass shooting by a single gunman in U.S. history.

The tragedy shocked and devastated the virginia tech community, as well as people around the world. In the aftermath of the shooting, many questions were raised about how such a tragedy could happen and what could be done to prevent similar tragedies in the future.

The Shooting

It was a normal day at VA Tech. Students were in class, going about their day as usual. But then, something happened that would change everything. A gunman opened fire on students and faculty, leaving 32 people dead and many more injured. This tragedy would shake the nation and prompt a debate on gun control.

The Victims

The virginia tech shooting was a school shooting that took place on April 16, 2007, at two locations on the Virginia Tech campus in Blacksburg, Virginia. Seung-Hui Cho, a senior at Virginia Tech, shot and killed 32 people and wounded 17 others in two separate attacks, about two hours apart, before committing suicide. It was the deadliest mass shooting by a single gunman in U.S. history.

The shootings occurred in Norris Hall, an academic building that houses the engineering science and mechanics programs, and West Ambler Johnston Hall, a residence hall. Cho also wounded five people who survived gunshot wounds prior to the attacks at Norris Hall. During the first attack victims were often shot multiple times as Cho moved through classrooms 216 and 214 before moving on to other parts of Norris Hall. Many classrooms had their doors barricaded with desks or other furniture as students tried to barricade themselves inside after hearing the initial shots fired down the hallways.

During his attacks he used two semi-automatic pistols: a Walther P22 .22-caliber target pistol and a 9mm semi-automatic Glock 19 handgun which he had recently purchased. All but three victims were shot with the Glock 19; those three victims were shot with the Walther P22 down another hallway some distance from where most of the shootings occurred within Norris Hall

The Shooter

The shooter has been identified as 23-year-old Cho Seung-Hui, a senior at Virginia Tech. Cho was born in South Korea and moved to the united states with his family when he was 8 years old. He is a legal permanent resident of the United States.

Cho attended Virginia Tech for more than two years, but had been having difficulties recently and had been diagnosed with anxiety disorder. He was taking medication for his condition, and was also undergoing psychiatric counseling.

In the months leading up to the shooting, Cho appears to have become increasingly isolated and withdrawn. He stopped going to class regularly and stopped socializing with other students.

On the morning of April 16, Cho went to a dorm room where two students were shot and killed. He then went to a classroom building where he shot and killed 30 more people before taking his own life.

The Aftermath

It has been almost a year since the tragic events at Virginia Tech unfolded. In the aftermath, the university was left reeling, and the nation was left searching for answers. The VA Tech shooting was a wakeup call for many people. It made us realize that we can never be too prepared for emergencies.

The Investigation

The Virginia Tech Review Panel was appointed by Governor Timothy Kaine to investigate the events leading up to and including the virginia tech shooting on April 16, 2007. The panel released its findings in August of 2007.

The report concluded that the shooting could have been prevented if Virginia Tech had timely warning systems and policies in place, and that the university did not follow its own policies in the days leading up to the shooting. In addition, the report found that there was a lack of communication and coordination between law enforcement agencies during the response to the shooting.

The Memorials

In the aftermath of the virginia tech shooting there were numerous memorials established to commemorate the victims and show support for the families.

One of the largest memorials was the 32 Candles Memorial, held on April 16, 2007, exactly one month after the shootings. Thousands of people all over the world gathered to honor the victims by lighting 32 candles—one for each victim.

The university also set up a permanent memorial on campus, which includes a stone plaza with 32 Hokie Stones—each engraved with the name of a victim—and a “Hokie Stone” wall bearing the names of all those who lost their lives.

In addition, many other smaller memorials have been created by students and alumni, both on and off campus. These include a memorial garden, a scholarship fund, and an annual day of remembrance.


In the end, what happened at VA Tech was a tragedy. 32 people lost their lives in a senseless act of violence. The victims were students, faculty, and staff members who were simply going about their daily lives. The gunman, a student at VA Tech, took their lives in an apathetic and premeditated manner.

The events of that day will always be remembered by those who witnessed them and by those who lost someone in the shooting. VA Tech will never be forget what happened on April 16, 2007.

Scroll to Top