What Happened at Virginia Tech

On April 16, 2007, Seung-Hui Cho, a senior at virginia tech shot and killed 32 people on the virginia tech campus in Blacksburg, Virginia.
This shooting is the deadliest mass shooting by a single gunman in U.S. history.

Checkout this video:


At about 7:15 a.m. on April 16, 2007, Seung-Hui Cho, a senior at virginia tech shot and killed 32 people in two locations on campus before fatally shooting himself. The shooting rampage is the deadliest mass shooting by a lone gunman in U.S. history.

The Shooting

On April 16, 2007, Seung-Hui Cho, a senior at Virginia Tech, shot and killed 32 people and wounded 17 others in two separate attacks, beforecommit suicide. It was the deadliest mass shooting by a single gunman in U.S. history.

The Victims

On April 16, 2007, 32 people were killed and 17 wounded in a mass shooting at Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, Virginia. The shooter, Seung-Hui Cho, was a senior at the university. Cho had been previously diagnosed with a severe anxiety disorder and had been receiving treatment.

Prior to the shooting, Cho mailed a package of writings and video footage to NBC News. The materials detailed his anger towards “rich kids”, “debauchery”, and “deceitful charlatans”. He also expressed admiration for the Columbine High School shooters and other mass murderers.

The shooting took place over the course of several hours. Cho first opened fire in West Ambler Johnston Hall, a residence hall on campus, killing two students. He then went to Norris Hall, where he shot and killed 30 more people before killing himself.

The victims of the shooting were mostly students at Virginia Tech. They ranged in age from 18 to 22 years old. Most of the victims were shot in Norris Hall; some were killed in West Ambler Johnston Hall.

In the aftermath of the shooting, Virginia Tech was criticized for its handling of the incident. The university had not sent out a campus-wide alert until two hours after the first shots were fired. This delay has been cited as a contributing factor to the high number of casualties.

The Shooter

The shooter in the Virginia Tech massacre has been identified as 23-year-old student Seung-Hui Cho.

Cho was a senior English major at the university. According to police, he was born in South Korea and is a legal permanent resident of the united states

Cho lived on campus in Harper Hall, one of the dormitories where some of the shootings took place. Neighbors said he was a loner who rarely spoke.


It has been one month since the shootings at Virginia Tech. The campus is still grieving, but life goes on. The university has released a report on the shootings, and students are trying to make sense of what happened.

The Investigation

The investigation into the massacre at Virginia Tech began immediately after the shooting stopped. The responsible agencies included the Blacksburg Police Department, the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office, the Virginia State Police, and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF). Investigators searched Cho’s dorm room and found a chain saw, a small stash of grenades, and over 400 rounds of ammunition.

In addition to these physical searches, police also pored over Cho’s computer hard drive and cell phone records. What they found was disturbing. In the months leading up to the shooting, Cho had been stockpiling weapons and ammunition. He had also been sending violent threats to two female classmates.

All of this information led police to believe that Cho was not only mentally unstable, but that he had been planning the attack for some time. This information was critical in helping to piece together what happened on that fateful day in April 2007.

The Memorials

In the days and weeks following the tragedy, an outpouring of support came from around the world. Candles, flowers, and letters were left at improvised memorials near Norris Hall and at various locations on campus. Tech students also created a living memorial in the form of a 32-foot-long (9.8 m) chain of 1,700 links, each inscribed with the name of one of the victims. The chain was displayed on the Drillfield for several days before being taken down and placed in storage.


It is difficult to draw any conclusions about what happened at Virginia Tech without more information. The school was clearly unprepared for a active shooter situation, and the response time was far too slow. There have been calls for stricter gun control laws in the wake of the shooting, but it is unclear if that would have prevented this tragedy. What is clear is that something needs to be done to make sure that this never happens again.

Scroll to Top