What Happened to Virginia Tech

On April 16, 2007, Seung-Hui Cho shot and killed 32 people on the virginia tech campus in Blacksburg, Virginia.
This tragedy is often referred to as “the deadliest mass shooting by a single gunman in U.S. history.”

Checkout this video:


Virginia Tech is a public research university in Blacksburg, Virginia. The university opened in 1872 as a land-grant college and now has an enrollment of over 33,000 students. The school is known for its strong engineering, science, and business programs.

In 2007, the university made headlines when a student went on a shooting rampage, killing 32 people before taking his own life. The tragedy was one of the deadliest mass shootings in U.S. history and led to increased security measures on college campuses nationwide.

virginia tech has rebounded in the years since the tragedy, with enrollment and research funding both on the rise. The university has also been recognized for its innovative approach to STEM education.

The Shooting

The Victims

On April 16, 2007, Seung-Hui Cho, a senior at virginia tech shot and killed 32 people on the campus of the university in Blacksburg, Virginia. He then shot himself, making the massacre the deadliest school shooting in U.S. history.

The victims were mostly students at Virginia Tech. They ranged in age from 18 to 27 years old. Twelve of the victims were women and 20 were men.

Many of the victims were young people with bright futures ahead of them. Some were already accomplished students, athletes, and scholars. Some were just beginning to find their way in life. But they all had one thing in common: they were cherished by their families and loved by their friends.

In the days and weeks after the tragedy, the stories of the victims began to emerge. They shared a sense of loss that was felt by everyone who knew them.

The Shooter

On April 16, 2007, Seung-Hoi Cho, a 23-year-old senior at Virginia Tech, shot and killed 32 people and wounded 17 others in two separate attacks, approximately two hours apart, before committing suicide. It was the deadliest mass shooting by a lone gunman in U.S. history.

Cho had been diagnosed with a severe anxiety disorder as a teenager and had been prescribed medication and received counseling. In 2005, he was declared mentally ill by a Virginia special justice and ordered to receive outpatient treatment.

According to Cho’s sisters, he was bullied by classmates from an early age. Classmates and teachers remembered him as being shy and withdrawn. He rarely spoke in class and when he did, it was usually to give one-word answers.

In high school, Cho began exhibiting more disturbing behavior. He wrote dark poetry that talked about death and violence. He also developed an obsession with the Columbine High School shootings and other mass shootings.

In the months leading up to the virginia tech shooting Cho’s behavior became increasingly erratic. He began to isolate himself from friends and family. He would not leave his dorm room for days at a time and when he did leave, he would not speak to anyone.

On the morning of April 16th, Cho went to a nearby post office and mailed a package of writings and photographs to NBC News’ The Today Show. In the package, Cho referred to himself as “Ismail Ax” and warned that he “should have been on [the] 32nd floor [of Virginia Tech’s Norris Hall].”

At around 7:15 AM, Cho entered Norris Hall armed with two semi-automatic pistols and began shooting students and faculty members in classrooms on the second floor. He then moved downstairs to the first floor where he continued shooting people before going back upstairs again.

Approximately two hours after the first shots were fired, police entered Norris Hall after receiving calls from students who were hiding inside the building. When they got there, they foundCho dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head

The Aftermath

The virginia tech shooting was a school shooting that took place on April 16, 2007, at two locations on the Virginia Tech campus in Blacksburg, Virginia. The perpetrator, Seung-Hui Cho, killed 32 people and wounded 17 others with two semi-automatic pistols before committing suicide. This was the deadliest shooting by a single gunman in U.S. history.

The Investigation

On April 18, 2007, the Virginia Tech Review Panel released its report on the shootings at Virginia Tech. The panel was appointed by Governor Tim Kaine to investigate the events of April 16, 2007, and to make recommendations on how to prevent or respond to such incidents in the future.

The report found that the campus police department did not follow established procedures for responding to an active shooter situation, and that they failed to notify other agencies or campuses in a timely manner. The panel also found that the university did not have an adequate plan in place for dealing with an active shooter situation.

In response to the report, the university implemented a number of changes, including establishing an Office of Emergency Management and appointing a chief information officer to oversee emergency communications. The university also updated its policies for responding to active shooter situations and began training faculty and staff on how to respond.

The Memorials

The university set up a memorial fund in the hours after the shootings. As of March 2007, the Hokie Spirit Memorial Fund had raised more than $7.5 million dollars from over 60,000 donors. The fund was used to build two memorials on campus. The first is called the Hokie Stone Memorial, and is made up of 160 tons of virgin granite stone brought from North Carolina. The stone was sculpted into 32 blocks, each weighing five tons. The stone memorial sits atop a 30-foot-wide (9.1 m) concrete plaza with the names of the victims inscribed around the edge. It is located at the site of Norris Hall, near where most of the victims were killed.

The second memorial is called the April 16 Memorial, and consists of 32 Hokie Stones arranged in a circle, with a plaque in the center bearing the inscription “In Memoriam.” The stones are located on a hill in front of Burruss Hall, which overlooks Drillfield.


In conclusion, it is clear that Virginia Tech has been through a lot in recent years. The school has faced many challenges, but it has also shown tremendous strength and resilience. Virginia Tech is a stronger institution today than it was before the tragic events of 2007, and it will continue to grow and thrive in the years to come.

Scroll to Top