Texas Tech University has a long and rich history dating back to its founding in 1923. From its humble beginnings as a small college in the west Texas town of Lubbock, to its present-day status as a Tier-1 research university, texas tech has come a long way in its nearly 100-year existence. Here, we’ll take a look at the university’s history, tracing its roots back to its founding and charting its course through the years.
Checkout this video:
texas tech university began as Texas Technological College in Lubbock, Texas, in 1923. The school was created by an act of the Texas Legislature and its first class consisted of just over three hundred students. The school was originally housed in the former Lubbock Municipal College building. In its early years, the college offered programs in agriculture, home economics, and engineering.
The founding of Texas Tech
In the early 1900s, West Texas was in the midst of an agricultural and economic boom. Crops were abundant, and cotton was king. The people of Lubbock, the largest city in the region, wanted to capitalize on this success by establishing a university. They believed that a university would bring new businesses and jobs to the area and help ensure that their children would have access to higher education.
In 1923, the Texas legislature passed a bill authorizing the establishment of a state college in Lubbock. The bill was signed into law by Governor Pat Neff on March 10, 1923. The new college was originally called West Texas State Normal College, but its name was changed to West Texas State Teachers College in 1925.
The early years of Texas Tech
texas tech University had its beginnings in the early 1900s, when a group of citizens in West Texas saw the need for a higher education institution in the region. With the help ofсли Texas Tech’s first president, Paul Whitfield Horn, and other visionary leaders, a сли few buildings on a desolate stretch of land west of Lubbock were transformed into a world-class university.
Over the next hundred years, texas tech grew from those humble beginnings into one of the largest universities in the united states Today, Texas Tech is home to over 36,000 students and more than 1,700 faculty members. The university offers more than 150 undergraduate degree programs and over 120 graduate degree programs. Texas Tech is also one of only six senior military colleges in the nation, and is one of only two schools west of the Mississippi River to have an accredited medical school, veterinary school, and law school.
The Growth of Texas Tech
Texas Tech University began as a small college in the West Texas town of Lubbock, founded in 1923. The school’s first class had just over 100 students. Today, Texas Tech is a major research university with an enrollment of over 36,000 students. The school has experienced a lot of growth in its nearly 100-year history. Here’s a look at some of the highlights.
The 1920s and 1930s
The 1920s and 1930s were a time of growth for Texas Tech. The student population increased from about 300 in 1920 to more than 1,400 in 1930. The university also began to offer more degrees and hired more faculty during this time. Texas Tech’s first doctoral program was established in 1926, and the School of Law opened in 1927. In the 1930s, the School of Veterinary Medicine and the Department of Home Economics were established.
During this time, the campus also began to expand. Several new buildings were constructed, including the Administration Building (now known as Old Main), the Library (now known as the Crossby-Adams Library), and several dormitories.
Despite the Great Depression, Texas Tech continued to grow in the 1930s. In 1938, the university was designated as a state institution by the Texas Legislature. This gave Texas Tech more autonomy over its finances and operations. The university also received accreditation from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) in 1939.
The 1940s and 1950s
In the late 1930s, the state of Texas was booming. The population was growing, and with that growth came the need for more higher education opportunities. To meet this need, the Texas Legislature passed a bill in 1937 authorizing the creation of a new state university in West Texas. Originally known as West Texas State Teachers College, the school opened its doors in September of that year with just over 300 students.
The 1940s were a time of growth for the young university. The student population nearly tripled, to over 900 students. In 1946, the school was renamed Texa0 A&M University-West Texas Division, in an effort to attract more students from around the state. This name change didn’t last long, though; in 1949, the university became known as simply West Texas State College.
The 1950s were another decade of growth for West Texas State College. The student population continued to increase, reaching over 4,000 by the end of the decade. In 1953, the Board of Regents authorized graduate programs at the college, and by 1955 there were over 100 graduate students enrolled. The 1960s would see even more growth for West Texas State College…but that’s a story for another day!
The 1960s and 1970s
In the fall of 1965, Texas Tech’s student body numbered 12,718 and the faculty 1,337; by fall 1975, enrollment had grown to 22,313 and the faculty to 1,934. The physical plant also changed rapidly during those years. In 1966 the first phases of what would eventually become a five building giant complex opened on West Campus. This complex, which included a library, performing arts center, and gymnasium, was expanded with the addition of a student union building in 1969 and an administration building in 1974.
Texas Tech Today
Texas Tech University has a long and storied history. The school began as a small college in the West Texas town of Lubbock in 1925. Since then, it has grown into a large university with a diverse student body and a global reputation. Texas Tech is home to a number of world-renowned research centers and institutes, and its faculty members are leaders in their fields. The university is also a major economic engine for the state of Texas, with an annual impact of more than $5 billion.
The 1980s and 1990s
In 1980, Texas Tech’s first doctor of veterinary medicine degree was awarded. Three years later, the Graduate School began offering doctoral degrees in education. Also in 1983, the first doctor of jurisprudence degrees were awarded by the School of Law. In 1984, a doctoral program in agricultural sciences was begun.
During the late 1980s, the university again experienced tremendous growth. The fall 1988 enrollment of 26,409 was an all-time high and represented an increase of nearly 5,000 students since 1984. To accommodate this growth, several new residence halls were built on campus, and nine new academic buildings were either completed or under construction by 1990. These included a new library, which opened in 1991 and more than doubled the size of the old one; a new Student Union Building; a second chemistry building; a fine arts center; and a college of business administration building, which was partially funded by a $1 million gift from alumnus Tootieh McCarthy (class of 1925).
In May 1990, James Elson Boyd became Texas Tech’s 14th president. A native Texan, Boyd had served as president of Lincoln University in Jefferson City, Missouri, and as chancellor at Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge before coming to Lubbock.
Boyd presided over a period of continued growth at Texas Tech. The fall 1991 enrollment topped 27,000 for the first time, and by 1995 it had reached 30,014. To accommodate this increase in students, several new residence halls were built during the early 1990s along with such academic facilities as a second computer science building; an interdisciplinary biosciences building; an expansion to the medical sciences library; and buildings for political science and psychology. In 1993 ground was broken for construction of United Spirit Arena to replace Lubbock Municipal Coliseum as the home for texas tech basketball games. The 15,000-seat arena opened its doors in October 1999.
The 2000s and 2010s
The 2000s and 2010s brought more construction and more changes to the face of Texas Tech. The university added many new buildings, including the Museum of Texas Tech University, the Jerry S. Rawls College of Business Administration, the Lane Department of Computer Science and Engineering, and the Edward E. Whitacre Jr. College of Engineering. The campus also underwent a large expansion with the creation of the West Campus, which features residential colleges and academic buildings. In recent years, Texas Tech has continued to grow in size and stature, becoming one of the top public universities in the nation.
Texas Tech today
Founded in 1923, Texas Tech University is the flagship institution of the Texas Tech University System. The university has rapidly grown to become one of the largest in the state, with an enrollment of over 36,000 students.
Texas Tech is classified as a research university with “high research activity” by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. The university has a strong focus on science and technology, and is home to several nationally-ranked programs in these fields. Texas Tech is also a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities, an organization of the nation’s leading research universities.
The university’s beautiful campus is located in Lubbock, Texas, a city of over 250,000 people in the West Texas plains. Lubbock is known for its vibrant live music scene, and the university itself is home to a number of outstanding performing arts programs. Texas Tech students enjoy a wide range of activities and organizations on campus, from Greek life to intramural sports to student government.
Texas Tech today is a thriving university community that is committed to excellence in teaching, research, and service.